Friday 16 August 2024

On Turning 80


I haven’t seen the pyramids along the Nile
But I’ve seen many a sunset on a tropic isle
And I have known the wonder of a baby smile
And that’s enough …for me.


I haven’t climbed a mountain or even scaled a slope
But I once dined with royalty, and shook hands with a Pope.
And I have five grandchildren who fill my life with hope
And that’s enough…. for me.


I cannot do mathematics and I detest machines
But I’ve climbed the Tower of Pisa, and noticed how it leans
And I can write a story and show you what it means
And that’s enough…for me.


I’ve never been arrested or been in deep disgrace
But I have looked with heartache on a dying loved one’s face
And I have had the honour of a mother’s special place
And that’s enough… for me.


I haven’t flown an airplane across the crowded skies
But I have glimpsed  the future in a greatgrandbaby’s  eyes
And I have known the comfort of loving family ties
And that’s enough… for me.


Our kids weren’t always perfect, now and then they acted up
Sometimes it took a warning word to make them smarten up
But mostly all it took to keep the  row  from heating up
Was, “That’s enough!” …from  me.


Their favourite place to get my goat was riding in the car
They’d carry on for just so long, and when they’d gone too far
They’d hear the words they  knew so well “Do I have to stop this car?”
That was enough… for me


I haven’t made  a million or won a Lotto prize
But I’ve seen the embers glowing as a cozy campfire dies
And I still see desire in my beloved’s eyes
And that’s enough… for me

No comments:

Post a Comment